looking for something?

Saturday, August 12, 2017

why I love the county fair 

Tonight was the concluding night of the Cache County Fair and Rodeo. Man do I love this time of year. 
I love the Fair for a few reasons, many I can't seem to name, but here are my top 3. 





  1. The food: Deep fried everything, Diet Coke galore, burgers, nachos, #mmmm. If I won any cash on my hogs, I immediately spent it on food. 
  2. The entertainment: there is literally nothing better than a good rodeo. When the rough stock is good and the cowboys are better, there is an energy in that dusty arena. 
  3. The people: cowboys and country folk are my kind of people, down to earth, hard working, and a little bit rowdy. 
I grew up country, just in case you didn't know. When I was little, I'd give anything to NOT show I was a farm girl. Now, I'm proud to say that my hometown has more cows than people. I love my country roots and wouldn't trade them for anything. 
The Fair has been a part of my life since I can remember. 
When I turned 9, my dad told me he thought I was responsible enough to raise a pig for the Fair. I was BEYOND excited.
Showing pigs was the highlight of the Fair. I never did win much, but I loved spending time taking care of my animals and showing off my hard work. 
Part of my job at the Fair was pony rides for myYoung Women's fundraiser. We would sign up for three hour shifts to walk kids around on ponies. A lot of these kids had never been on a horse before. The joy in their eyes, although sometimes preceded with fear, outweighed the dust and heat. 
Besides hogs and horses, I  did 4H cooking projects. I learned about baking and sewing, and competed for a coveted blue ribbon. 
I also attended horse camps at the fairgrounds. Spending hours on my horse taught me how to be responsible and respect my horse. We slept in those old white fairground buildings and danced on the lawn. 
As a teenager, we helped clean the Home Arts buildings. Now, I help my mom with setting up displays and being a part of the Home Arts staff. 
Those old white buildings are being torn down this year. I got a little emotional thinking about all the hours I've spent in and around them. They are iconic to me, and part of my childhood. 
I love the Fair, I love my country roots, and I love being able to call CacheValley Home. 
So thank you, fairgrounds, for housing so many of my favorite memories. I can't wait to see what new ones are coming down the chute.  



No comments:

Post a Comment