looking for something?

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

5 reasons why i got rid of my traditional paper planner

i have been a devoted planner user for over 12 years. 

there is something just so seductive about their cute patterns and spiral bound goodness that draws me in every time.
(i'm looking at you tj maxx....)

but lately i've realized that i have not one, not two, but SIX different calendars i have to update with any form of to-do item, calendar event, or random thought.


so to simplify, i threw them all away.


via GIPHY

i know, i know. me, the most planner-oriented person and i GOT RID OF MY PLANNERS. but hear me out, my reasoning is grounded in solid logic...well, i think so.

1. the biggest reason? i had six calendars (two on my phone, two at work, one on my wall at home and my planner). wth did i need with that many things. no wonder my anxiety was through the roof. simplifying really helped me cut my anxiety WAY WAY back. now i have one calendar for scheduling and a to-do list app that lets me organize and sort everything. i love it and who doesn't love reducing anxiety.

2. saving some paper. ok not really, but it feels so nice not to have a big notebook i'm lugging around. i know i always have my phone with me, and therefore i will always have my schedule and to-do list.

3.  unlimited amount of space. there is nothing i hate more than having to write up the margins of my planner when i run out of space (for those really long study-filled weekends). with my phone, i can type out something so easy and never worry about running out of text space.

4. memory. my phone remembers everything, like everything. i always said my brain was my planner and now, my phone can help me remember things. i tend to be a forgetful person and having one place to write everything down helps. then, i can set alarms and reminders to keep me on task.

5. research has shown that checking things off a list makes us feel more productive. my new app (called Do!) has a feature that allows me to physically cross off things, giving me that satisfaction i need of getting things done.

i know it's an unpopular opinion and some people would still prefer their paper planner (hence why they still line the shelves every school year) but for me, switching has been night and day difference in my productivity and stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment